Little Bit, a young Eastern Box Turtle was hit by a car in September of 2000. Her shell was crushed and she was left partially paralyzed. There was no way she would ever be released to the wild as happens with most successful rehabs. I repaired her shell using velcro strips epoxied to anchor points on her carapace. After some weeks Little Bit seemed to have made a full recovery except for the use of her hind legs. So some wheels seemed to be the way to go.
A Golf club in south Wales has awarded lifetime membership to a mongrel dog because of his uncanny knack of finding lost balls from wayward shots.
But friendly white terrier cross Deuce is having to take the rough with the smooth, because he cannot fully enjoy membership of Pontnewydd Golf Club - dogs are banned from the clubhouse.
Since his owner and club member Jim Phillis began taking him for daily walks from his house bordering the course near Cwmbran in Monmouthshire, Deuce has returned more than 3000 balls sliced or shanked into the long grass.
A giant tortoise thought to be one of the world's oldest creatures has died in a Calcutta zoo, ending a life that spanned much of modern Indian history.
Local lore said Adwaita, the Aldabra tortoise whose name means "the one and only" in the local Bengali language, was some 250 years old. That, however, would have made him much older than the world's oldest documented living animal: Harriet, a 176-year-old Galapagos tortoise who lives at the Australia Zoo north of Brisbane, according to the zoo's website.
She was taken from the island of Isla Santa Cruz by Charles Darwin in the 19th century.
Calcutta zoo officials, however, insist Adwaita was far older.
Esther Dyson's amazing food snapshot from the recent VIP "Explorer's Club" dinner may not answer that question, but it does show you what oven-roasted alligator looks like. Yikes! Or, as Esther might type in her disemvoweled flickr notes, yks! If I'd been there, I would have opted to nosh on the orchids instead. Of course, they're right next to the hissing cockroach skewers...
A woman found a small crocodile in her backyard swimming pool in Sydney, a zoo spokeswoman said Monday, just weeks after another crocodile was found in a nearby pond.
The latest uninvited croc to turn up in northern Sydney was a 21-inch freshwater crocodile, a different species to the two-foot saltwater croc found on Feb. 23, said Australian Reptile Park spokeswoman Mary Rayner.
"A woman called saying she had a freshwater crocodile in her backyard swimming pool," Rayner said. "She actually caught it. It was extremely angry and she bound the snout."
A South Florida man nearly died this weekend after being stung by a rare Vietnamese centipede considered to have one of the most toxic stings in the world, according to a Local 6 News report.Authorities said the man was changing the water bowl of the 7-inch Vietnamese centipede he was keeping as a pet when it quickly stung his hand.